Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Classic Basil Pesto

Whenever I grow basil I never know what to do with it because it grows so fast and grows so much! Here's a simple solution if you wanna use up some basil! You could double or triple the recipe and have a little pesto pasta party or something!


photo via My Recipes
recipe via My Recipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup basil leaves
4 large or 6 medium garlic cloves
1/3 cup shredded romano cheese
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation
Put basil in a mortar with garlic, romano cheese, pine nuts, parsley, and salt. Pound until smooth, then add olive oil and mix until smooth. Or, whirl all ingredients in a blender.

*If you have a garden recipe that you'd like to share, e-mail it to heathermildenstein(at)gmail(dot)com

We'd love to try it and post it!

4 comments:

summer said...

no way. i was just looking for this!

i wonder, could you guys give me a better idea of some yummy ways to use pesto?

j cubed said...

I put pesto on my sandwiches. I use it instead of mayonnaise and mustard. It is divine!

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy pine nuts?

desi said...

Hi Heather!!
I'm here!! it's a fantastic idea, Wonderful!!

oh and thanx so much for the basil pesto recipe, been searching for one to make :)

have a great day!
desi
x

shelly said...

Fresh basil is the BEST! I've got to plant some right away. This looks amazing!